Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Ladder, The Watchmen, and The Saint of Ireland

As I've noted before Kristy and I are reading St. John Climacus' The Ladder of Divine Ascent as a Lenten reading and let me say that even though we're still slowly working our way through the introduction by Bishop Kallistos Ware the book is well worth your time. Just like I stated about the SVS Press edition of St. Athanasius' On The Incarnation (here) this book is worth your time for the introduction alone. The reason it's taken us a few days to get through the introduction is that for the most part it has been very edifying and spiritually challenging (that and I've been a slacker and slothful in my reading at times). Granted I'm making assumptions just based on the introduction but I think this book, except for one part so far, if very accessible to the Protestant paradigm and is an excellent book in regards to the disciplined spiritual life.

At risk of jumping topics too abruptly I went to see the new movie Watchmen the other day and it led to some interesting thoughts. First let me say that I can't fully endorse the movie because it does contain nudity and some graphic violence. It also purports a philosophical worldview that is distinctly different from the Christian worldview. It is because of this last reason that I bring up the movie. While the movie was visually stunning I think it mainly held my attention for the whole 2 hours and 40 some minutes because of the philosophical claims and critiques it was making.

While I'm not trying to give away the movie, it seemed to constantly reiterate the fact that humanity in its essence is violent, perverse, and evil. It seemed to me that this is the central point around which the plot revolved. The suggestion seemed to be made that not only is humanity as a whole this way, but that individuals in their true self are also this way. My first thought was that this movie was offering some sort of Nihilistic philosophy, though I'm not certain that nihilism is the correct term. Either way it paints a world-view that is utterly hopeless and discounts the entire value of humanity. Humanity, so the movie seems to suggest, needs saved from itself by this band of super heroes.

While I know many theologians would probably agree with this depraved view of humanity this seemed to go well beyond the normal Calvinistic view of depravity. I apologize for not being able to accurately describe this but it has been a few very busy days since I saw the film. I would of course agree without reservation that humanity needs salvation and needs to be redeemed, however, I couldn't also help but think through a conversation I had about the "true self." I blogged (here) about this conversation way before I came to seminary and while I'm sure I would articulate things differently now I think I probably agree with it.

I also couldn't help but think throughout the film about some things that I had just read in the introduction of the Ladder. Bishop Kallistos states about John Climacus (italics mine):

Concerning the fall and the resulting distortion of human nature, John is indeed highly negative, although never sweepingly condemnatory in the manner of Augustine or Calvin; he nowhere suggests that the fall has led to a total corruption. But when he speaks about the condition prior to the fall - about humankind's true and natural state, which in Christ we can now regain - he is not only affirmative but optimistic. John is no Manichaean. Human nature in its entirety, body as well as soul, is God's creation and is therefore good: 'God neither caused nor created evil.' Sin is extrinsic to our true personhood: 'No one wants to sin against God.' There are many natural virtues, but no natural vices:

[he then quotes St. John Climacus:]
"evil or passion is not something naturally implanted in things. God is not the creator of passions. On the other hand there are many natural virtues that have come to us from Him"
[end quote of Climacus]

- and these include the highest virtues of all, faith, hope, and love.

It is the tension between these two drastically different views of humanity that I constantly thought about throughout the movie. Just like I have been teaching my confirmation class in recent weeks. While scripture teaches us sin and death entered the world through the Fall, the image of God in which we were created was in no means utterly destroyed. Sure it was marred or tarnished, but not utterly destroyed. There is hope, not that we can redeem ourselves, but that through Christ the image of God can be fully restored so that we may have communion with the divine.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting the philosophy present in the movie so I welcome comments and critiques.



On to St. Patrick, Enlightener of the Celts (ca. 385-464).

I would surely be remiss to blog this morning without mentioning St. Patrick of Ireland. While St. Patrick's Day has sadly been reduced to a time to wear green, drink green drinks, and look for leprechauns it is still good for us to celebrate the holy saint that helped to bring the gospel to the Ireland and who's work still has lasting impact.

While I'm not sure why we remember four-leaf clovers on St. Patrick's day, he is commonly remembered in icons as holding a shamrock or three-leaf clover. It was this clover that he commonly used to teach the doctrine of the Trinity to the Celtic people. Patrick was a devout defender of the faith even in the face of the many pagan tribes throughout the land. We've all heard stories of the Druidic religions of the Celtic region, and it was Patrick who brought the light of the Trinity to this dark place. I've always been awestruck by how beautifully Trinitarian celtic theology has been. This is no doubt largely due to St. Patrick and his work among these people. Praise the Lord for holy men and women like St. Patrick.

While I've not read much of his written works (none until this morning) I leave you with a quote from St. Patrick from his confessions (here). I found this work via my friend Matt Perkins' blog (here). He has a great St. Patrick quote on there that is worth checking out.

St. Patrick in his confessions tells of his zeal for the Lord:
Therefore may it never befall me to be separated by my God from his
people whom he has won in this most remote land. I pray God that he
gives me perseverance, and that he will deign that I should be a
faithful witness for his sake right up to the time of my passing.

And if at any time I managed anything of good for the sake of my
God whom I love, I beg of him that he grant it to me to shed my blood
for his name with proselytes and captives, even should I be left
unburied, or even were my wretched body to be torn limb from limb by
dogs or savage beasts, or were it to be devoured by the birds of the
air, I think, most surely, were this to have happened to me, I had
saved both my soul and my body. For beyond any doubt on that day we
shall rise again in the brightness of the sun, that is, in the glory of
Christ Jesus our Redeemer, as children of the living God and co-heirs
of Christ, made in his image; for we shall reign through him and for
him and in him.

For the sun we see rises each day for us at [his] command, but it
will never reign, neither will its splendour last, but all who worship
it will come wretchedly to punishment. We, on the other hand, shall not
die, who believe in and worship the true sun, Christ, who will never
die, no more shall he die who has done Christ's will, but will abide
for ever just as Christ abides for ever, who reigns with God the Father
Almighty and with the Holy Spirit before the beginning of time and now
and for ever and ever. Amen.
Lord, give us zeal for you and love for the lost of this world like your holy saint Patrick.

- Ben

4 comments:

Ed said...

Man, I liked the Watchmen movie, especially because I was in that philosophy class with Grug when he did a presentation on it.

It really does present some pretty neat philosophical perspectives. I think the whole "peace can only be preserved by a lie" perspective is interesting. I kind of wondered if it wasn't about God. (That is, peace can only be had if people sufficiently fear a God - Dr. Manhattan - who is not really there.) I also liked the tongue-in-cheek way it dealt with comic book heroes and heroism. Also, aside from the fact that he's a sociopath, I love Rorshak. (Also, I think that the movie means to suggest that only a sociopath could care about the truth as much as he does. The other, "saner" superheroes end up seeing the value in the lie.

I also just read Patrick's Confession today thanks to Mr. Perkins. Well done, sir, well done!

And now, time for some of those "green beverages" I've heard to much about. To the saint and his love for mankind!

Ed said...

P.S. If you didn't see it on my blog, yes, I still live in Willypo. If you're ever passing through by all means give me a call or send me an email. I'll totally come hang out with you!

Ben said...

Ed, I did get your note from your blog and I don't have your number anymore (I think) can you email it to me? My address is: howard.benjamin (at) gmail

I think you make some accurate observations about the movie. The who concept of the societal lie was really interesting, especially because it played in on the whole, humanity is so evil by nature that we have to deceive them to keep peace.

Do you think (and I ask because I'm not so good with labeling philosophical/sociological concepts) this could be playing off the Marxist (I think it was Marx) notion that religion is a crutch? I.e. that this Manhattan religion is a crutch for the people so that they can keep from destroying themselves.

I'm with you, I loved Rorshak! His zeal for truth at all costs even in the face of death was surely admirable (in a sociopathic sort of way =) ). I really loved the last full line he said as he was exiting the temple, something like: 'no compromise even in the face of Armageddon."

One of the reviews that I read prior to going was that they didn't give you enough time to connect with the characters but I think that idea is total bunk because I think Rorshak was the central emotional piece upon which the movie was successfully centered, both emotionally and narratively.

Ed said...

Yep, I think it's playing off the Marxist category.