Friday, February 06, 2009

Text Messaging: My arch-nemisis!

I hate text messaging, and may even go so far as to say it is the bane of my existence. Sure it has it's purposes and if you looked at my cell phone bills (or rather my parent's bills because ashamedly I was still on their plan in seminary) you would see a moderate usage of text messages.

But now I am thrust into the world of youth ministry and for my middle to upper-middle class kids text messaging is the chief means of communication. Apparently e-mail is too cumbersome and to my surprise Facebook and Myspace are even out for most of them. They text like there is no tomorrow and will often have full conversations via text messaging (one of my biggest pet peeves).

So in an effort to actually be able to encourage and communicate with my kids I've decided that I need to descend into the fiery pits of text messaging. As I contemplate this task I feel like the main character from Dante's Inferno, who, as he approaches the entrance into Hell, sees a sign that reads "Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here." I am that dreadful soul descending into the darkest abyss where I am forced to submit to my arch enemy the text message. Lucky for me my new work phone number is an unlimited text plan.

Really the scenario isn't as bad as it sounds since I've found some solutions to my texting incompetence. One solution I found was on the "Simply Youth Ministry" website (here). Here they offer what is brilliantly called "Simply TXT" (you can watch the video here). This neat little subscription program is really the impetus for the post, but I thought I would provide some interesting (and true) back story instead of just calling the post "Simply TXT: Ripping of Youth Ministers One Text at a Time." Though that may be a catchy title.

You see, while I'm not a technical savant like some of my friends, I am educated enough in the ways of technology to know that you can send text messages from an email account for free. I also realized that if I could figure out the same information that this program asks for (number and carrier) then I could create my own groups and send unlimited messages without paying the 10,20,30, or 40 dollars each month. Especially when my budget is already small.

So good job Doug Fields and Simply Youth Ministry, you have created a nice interface so that you can charge youth ministers and churches money so that they can open up another way of communicating to their parishioners. I understand that your websites subtitle is: "simplifying ministry...saving you time" but I doubt your program will save much time in the long run.

I understand that you don't charge much, but your program doesn't do much either and it seems to me that it would have been more beneficial for you to just offer a link to a website like "makeuseof.com" (here) and then told your readers to make a contact list of the various numbers in either outlook, mail, or some other client. Sure you wouldn't be able to fleece youth ministers and churches, and you wouldn't be able to make a quick buck in rough times. But your ministry helps are gobbled up by so many people that it baffles me why you wouldn't point them to a way to achieve the same goal while not costing their ministry a cent. (Ok, It really doesn't baffle me it just makes me sad and a little perturbed).

So Doug Fields and Simply Youth Ministry, I salute you for ripping off the masses of youth leaders who are using your product. Way to be capitalists first and Christians second.

2 comments:

scycle said...

I whole heartedly agree with you on the text messaging front. While there are instances that I think they are somewhat useful, I rather despise them on a whole. I would rather speak with you than text incoherent messages.

However, I do applaud your effort to find a means in which to attract the attention and spread the message to your students. Truly a sign of a great teacher, adapting to the students needs.

Bravo!

Anonymous said...

I like my title for this posting better, "A black-hearted cynic's view on the death of Christian stewardship." I think it may be more accurate, and has a better ring to it.