Saturday, August 20, 2005

Church Experiment: A Charismatic Ministry

I made it. Yep that's right I'm living in KY now. I don't have internet in my apartment yet so this post will have to be short as I'm writing it from the library. I'm not sure if it's possible for me to be short, because I like to ramble but I'll try.

I went to church on thursday evening in a small building in Wilmore that had a sign out front that said "a charismatic ministry." Being the charismatic that I am I decided to see what it was like even though I hadn't asked anyone about it yet.

I walked in the small building and was greeted by very friendly people. The service began with singing some choruses (none of which I had ever heard before) and little jumping up and down/dancing (not on my part mind you, I'm a good Wesleyan... er... C&MA or whatever).

The offering was to be next, but before that could take place the pastor asked us to turn to a certain Psalm. He then gave a little mini-sermon on the Psalm and told us how God didn't want any of us to be in debt and that he would give us all sorts of things. It sounded a little like Larry Burkett.

After the offering we sang another song and were treated to a sermon. During the sermon my discomfort grew from mild to severe and I didn't know what to do. Should I cry? Should I laugh? Should I walk out, or should I stand up and rebuke this man for his false teaching? I chose the easy way out and sat in my pew and listened. Yes, I know, I punked out.

The sermon's main thrust was from Hebrews 3 or 4 where it calls Jesus the High Priest of our profession (KJV). The word profession, or homo-legomena (GK - same words) as the pastor liked to refer to it, was the key point. You see, we have to say words, audible words to receive things from God. If we don't say them then we don't receive. We don't receive salvation if we don't speak it audibly (I guess Jesus doesn't really love the mute people of the world), we can't receive healing if we don't speak it audibly (the mute people can't even be healed then... that sucks) and we can't receive blessings if we don't speak it audibly.

God doesn't desire us to be poor or sick, we just don't tap into his blessings because we don't speak it. We don't use the "same words."

In the sermon the Pastor also said a bunch of other things that disturbed me. He reminded us that God has exalted his word above his name, that we have more dominion than Jesus because we're on earth and we can speak the words and Jesus is in heaven, and that my physical body doesn't really matter because I'm a spiritual being (yeah for dualism).

He also demonstrated how we can be healed if we're sick. How you may ask? Say to yourself (outloud) various phrases such as:
"by his stripes I am healed"
"I'm not sick"
"I'm the healthiest person alive"
"I'm healed"
"I don't have (insert illness here)."

You also have to say these phrases (or similar ones) multiple times, it isn't enough just to say them once, it has to go on for as long as the illness continues.

The same holds true for money, if you need money just say phrases of blessing and provision. Then you'll receive and live it out.


This teaching makes me sick! I"m not saying that I don't believe in healing and God's provision, because I do. I truly believe that "by his stripes we are healed" (both spiritually and physically) and I believe that God does provide for us. I especially rely on these things as my Grandpa has lung cancer and the only hope is a miracle, and as I relocate myself down here following God with school loans and rent payments.

I believe in these things, but to reduce it to merely saying positive words to yourself is absurd. To downplay to role of Jesus and the glory God is due is just blatant Heresy or blasphemy.

I don't know why God chooses to heal some and not others, I can't explain why the majority of the church lacks power and signs of the kingdom like miracles and love. I long to see these things, but to take the stance of the above church is just dumb. What about God's heart for the poor and the downtrodden? What about giving of ourselves to others? What about healing in a community so that it is truly a witness and a sign, rather than just positive thinking?

I have never experienced so much false teaching from a church that I attended. I was truly disgusted. Although there was one bright spot. Even though there was false teaching, I truly felt that some (not all) but some of the 15 or so people in the church were my sisters and brothers in Christ. Some of them are truly seeking after God, but they are being led astray by false teachers.

May God purge his church of false teachers and false prophets and renew his bride to be pure and spotless in his sight.

May you be blessed with the fellowship of the Holy Spirit, the Power of Christ, and the Love of the Father today my friends!

2 comments:

Christopher said...

Ben, you're awesome. I like talking with you three nights in a row ;)

How's this: I'm healed from stupidity; I'm healed from stupidity; I'm healed from stupidity . . .

t4stywh34t said...

So if I say those things and am still poor, does that mean that God doesn't love me, or that God doesn't really exist? hmm...

Greetings from Melbourne :-)