Monday, November 19, 2007

The lighter side

I mentioned last time that I would try to post something that is a little lighter and possibly not as theological just for a change of pace. Out of a sense of obligation I post this knowing that it may be equally boring, but nevertheless I continue.

Since I have a ton of work to do and there is no end in sight for the amount of papers I have to write before the semester ends, Luke and I figured the best way for us to start reading week would be to watch college football and then rent a couple movies. The football game was a bust as the evil Ohio State beat Michigan. Not that I was particularly cheering for Michigan, I just loathe Ohio State. The Penn State game followed but that game was quite boring so we opted to begin the movies.

We started with Amazing Grace which chronicled William Wilberforce's effort to abolish slavery in the British Empire. This was a wonderful movie. I didn't set my expectations too high coming into this movie since the driving force behind it was the Christian sub-culture and we all know how lame Christian movies are. This movie, however, greatly exceeded all my expectations. The dialogue and the plot kept me interested in the movie from start to finish. I think that the writers did an excellent job with this movie, except for a few cheesy lines. I would reccomend this movie to you all. As far as "Christian movies" go, I would place this slightly above Luther for one of the best Christian movies of all time. Though I must confess that I haven't seen Carmen's The Champion (that's a joke, I bet that move sucks) and I still have a warm place in my heart for Extreme Days (thanks to Josh Hazelton) despite all it's cheesiness.

Our original plan was to watch Amazing Grace first so as to not spoil it with our second movie choice: Spiderman 3. Despite the bad reviews that I read of Spiderman 3 I have wanted to see it for quite a while. I confess that I am a nerd and I loved watching the cartoon every Saturday morning as a kid, I mean, uh, teenager. I love comic book movies and thus I was excited for this one to come out in theaters. Although this move is exciting because it develops the Venom plot line, it is awful in so many ways that it almost makes me wish I hadn't seen it. The writing was poor and cheesy, there was too much of an emphasis on the CGI fight scenes, rather than plot, there were too many bad guys (3), and thus too little time was spent developing all of them. Sure I enjoyed seeing the plot develop, but I would have preferred that it stayed true to the comics/cartoon, and spent more time developing one or two villains rather than three. I think I almost would have preferred to let the cartoons fill me in on the plot instead of the movie butchering it.

So there is my obligatory, not-so-theological post. Not much else is going on other than I have a ton of school work to do and not a lot of time in which to do it.

Have a great thanksgiving.

- Ben

2 comments:

scycle said...

Gee, I think that's a great way to start your 'free' week. I have to agree about spiderman 3. For all the hype, it wasn't very good. Yeah the special effects were pretty awesome, but truly, the movie wasn't all that great. They should have used some of that 3 million (or more) they spent on special effects and took the time to write a slightly better movie. The next Batman movie arrives next summer, my favorite comic book hero. This will be the first Batman movie to omit the word 'Batman' from the title. It will simply be called, The Dark Knight.

Anna said...

You mean you didn't love emo Spiderman?