Friday, March 23, 2007

Baseball starts in 8 days!!

I know that I've tried to keep this blog primarily about faith, theology, and things of that sort but I would like to make a quick post about baseball so if you don't like sports then feel free to ignore this one.


I know it's still spring training and I know that opening day is 8 days away but I am really excited about baseball this season. More specifically I am really fired up about the prospect that the Orioles might finish over .500 for the first time in 9 years. Yes, that is right the last time the Orioles had a winning season i was 14!!

If I were to remain logical I would have to admit that the O's probably won't win the world series. They have a weak hitting lineup and a young and untested pitching staff and that probably isn't a good combination. In fact everything has to be perfect in order for them to win it all, but I don't care. I am a fan. I am a Baltimore Orioles fan and I have been one since the first grade. There is no bandwagoning here and thus I can confidently take my Kierkegaardian leap of faith and boldly declare that the Orioles WILL win the World Series.

To be fair I don't think our buddy Soren would think this is a true leap of faith because I'm not willing to die for this, but he can just be quiet. How on earth did I start talking philosophy. Back to baseball.

One of the reasons (probably the biggest reason) that I'm so excited this year is Erik Bedard. Here is his line from today's game:
5IP 1H 1R 1ER 2BB 8SO 1HR

Oh and this RAISED his preseason ERA to 0.95.

I predicting that if Bedard stays healthy he'll be a 20 game winner.

I'm also looking forward to seeing Brian Roberts get back into his game now that he's fully healthy. And Nick Markakis is going to have a huge year!!

Can you tell that I'm excited about baseball? The only down part to this season is that my cousin, Josh Kinney, is out for the year. Josh helped the Cardinals win the Series last year and then tore a tendon in his elbow this spring and had to have Tommy John surgery.

Enough of this march madness basketball crap. Bring on Baseball!!! Oh and I'm also taking another leap of faith and fully believing that the Yankees will suck this year. Oh how I hate the Yankees.

1 comment:

rebequinha said...

Sometimes, too much seriousness is just...well, too much! And you just need to be light-hearted for a while and do something fun - in your case, play or watch baseball. In my case, dress up like a giant green M&M for youth group, for our game night tonight that revolves entirely around chocolate. :)