Thursday, July 14, 2005

You can sleep when your dead....

...or so one of my favorite sayings goes. But the question I have tonight, albeit somewhat nonsensical, is "Can We?" or better yet "Do we?"

I'm not talking about the theology of soul-sleep, of which I am a fan (at least until I research it more), no I am talking about sleep in heaven. Will there be sleeping in heaven? Will we need to sleep in heaven? Will we want to sleep in heaven? I suppose I could turn to the scriptures and offer a well thought out discourse on "NO" or "YES," but why bother. I just like to ask the question. I don't know if I really want an answer or if it really matters that much, but it is an interesting question that came up tonight in a conversation with a friend.

It seems to me that there are two types of people, those who like sleep a lot and would do it for fun and those who only sleep because they can't function without it and only sleep as little as possible. I personally fall into the latter category. I'm not a big fan of sleep, I only sleep because I have to. Yes that may be a little bit of an exaggeration, but I don't think it's awfully far from the truth.

I personally wouldn't want to sleep in heaven, I would want to fill my eternity (ha ha as if that could happen) with all the wonderful things of heaven. Not that heaven is about me by any means (and thus this whole argument is futile, but for amusement's sake we will continue).

But some of my friends, and my sister for sure, who like sleep a lot more than I, will surely like to spend some of their eternity sleeping while basking in the glorious light of the lamb. This sounds like a good idea, but then again heaven doesn't seem to be about us... or at least our wants... that is unless your a Christian hedonist (cf: John Piper) and then maybe it is all about your desires because they are fulfilled in glorifying Christ.

So will there be sleep in heaven? I don't know and I'm not sure that I care to know. All I know is that I will get to be with my glorious Lord Jesus Christ and that is enough for me. Sleep or no sleep it doesn't matter, but I still think it's a fun question to think about.

Needless to say this post is a little trite and light-hearted, maybe it's a good change from some of the others, maybe not, but either way this type of post will probably be a rarity. I'll try to keep my more serious thoughts on here, but every now and then I'll try to lighten the mood.

Blessings, and may you all long for heaven and the return of our King.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...interesting question...I personally fall into the category of not really wanting to sleep in heaven. But it is quite fun to speculate about!

It reminds me of a conversation I was having with a friend a few weeks ago, also about heaven. If humanity was, by design, naked and fully content with that state before the fall, will we all be carefree and nude in heaven? Just another thought to ponder...