Tuesday, March 09, 2010

More Thoughts on Youth Ministry

I have read a couple articles recently that I wanted to share in light of the last post about some of the problems in youth ministry. Both of these articles are by a guy named Mike Yaconelli. Mike, is considered by many to be the "Father of youth ministry" as we now know it. He was the founder of Youth Specialties, one of the largest youth ministry companies out there. Mike passed away some years ago (I can't remember why) but has left a deep legacy. Sadly, as much as his name is championed, his words are seldom heeded.

The first article, "10 Easy Steps to Guarantee a Successful Youth Ministry," is a wonderful piece of satire. When I read the article in a recent issue of Youthworker I was both saddened and elated. I was elated, because it felt nice to hear a voice that expressed the same thoughts I was having, but I was saddened because these are the exact things that I am being criticized by the parents and counselors here for not doing.



The Second article is about rethinking youth ministry. Since my first youth ministry class with Dr. Walters at Houghton, I've held the belief that one of the highest goals of youth ministry should be to engage the students in the greater life of the whole congregation. This article takes this belief one step further and asserts that no youth ministry is the best youth ministry. Yaconelli doesn't say that we need to get rid of youth ministry all together (thankfully, because I need a job) but that we do need to get kids plugged into the church at deep levels that transcend just attendance. I agree completely and from, what I've found, so does everyone with whom I've talked. The problem I've found is that everyone like this in theory, but once you try to actively implement engagement with the whole church people get angry if the youth take a while to respond or "get it."

Here is this article: A Better Idea Than Youth Ministry

I'd love some extra thoughts on these issues.

- Ben

4 comments:

t4stywh34t said...

The problem is that only youth pastors are reading these articles and not average church-goers.

I probably don't even need to say that I agree with the articles and your thoughts 100%, but I know it's nice to actually hear people say it.

One of the reasons I won't do a traditional church plant or take a congregation over is because of all this stupid baggage that people, parents especially, bring to the table. There's just no room for the historic Church in most contemporary churches. Augustine didn't go to youth group. Gregory the Great didn't spend summers at youth camp. Thomas Aquinas didn't play drums in a youth band. If the Gospel isn't enough to make you want to come and fellowship with believers of all ages, you've got bigger problems.

/rant

Unknown said...

Mr. Imperial,

Amen!

When I was asked "Why don't you just believe Orthodox things and yet still be Protestant?" I thought for a while. But I eventually realized that Protestants don't want to be Orthodox, they want to be Protestant. There is an institutional gravitas that is greater than my personal beliefs. The only solution is to align one's beliefs and institution.

Also, don't forget about the Greek Fathers. Gregory and Basil used to "play" bishop as children. This is why traditional churches have acolytes: the liturgy is not for adults only.

Ben said...

Chuck,

I agree with you 100%. I wrestle with this often. I think age-based ministry does have benefits and can be very helpful (for more than just my employment) but you're right and I think that is what the youth ministry culture needs to realize.

As I think of it, youth ministry is acting like it's one of those giant banks that is "too big to fail." (And we all know how that worked out.) They think that just because there will always be students then there will always need to be student ministry.

The church, as Nathaniel points out, is for all ages. We need to be encouraging our students, and children to fully participate.

Student ministry is great as far as going deeper, helping students to understand what's going on, and dealing with age-based topics (sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll) but i cannot replace church and it is not too big to fail.

The notion that church is "too boring" for the students only exists because the beauty and glory of the Gospel is boring to the parents. We don't encounter God in the church because we're not looking and because we think there is nothing new to "learn."

It goes back to this dang rationalism that views christianity as a set of beliefs to be comprehended, digested, and regurgitated instead of beauty and life in which to be enfolded.

How did we ever get in this mess? I blame Augustine.


ok, I really don't blame Augustine, but he's the common whipping boy, so I figured why not. =) I really can't wait to hear your paper at NAPS!

Jesus is hope said...

I definitely think youth ministry should be taken more seriously as the youth has the energy to move mountains if they allow GOD to use them