Wednesday, February 03, 2010

The Feast of Transfiguration

I think this marks the end to one of my longer absences from this blog. It's been over two months since my last post and while I've intended to come back multiple times before now I have been consumed by a plethora of other things. While I'm not promising I'll be back in full-swing yet, I will try to post more regularly and try to finish up the series on the Filioque as well as post some other thoughts that have been brewing for quite a while.

What brings me here today is just a quick question that I really don't have time to answer but thought that some of you (if any readers still exist) may have more insight than I into this issue.

February 14 is the last Sunday before Lent this year and it is marked (as always) in the Methodist (Protestant?) lectionary as Transfiguration Sunday. My question is why and when did Transfiguration Sunday change dates in the Liturgical Year?

For the Orthodox Transfiguration Sunday is celebrated on August 6
For Catholics it is celebrated on August 6
For Anglicans it is celebrated on August 6 (according to the Book of Common Prayer )

This issue first raised its head last year when I was preparing to preach according to the Lectionary in one of our services on Transfiguration Sunday. At that time I noticed that the UM lectionary was different than the other lectionaries I was familiar with. This year as we approach lent I began to wonder about this issue again.

Why the change in the lectionary?

Why the change for such an important feast day of the church? Was it theological? Was it practical?

If any of you have any insights so my curiosity can be satiated I would be very appreciative. Like I said, I don't have a lot of time to dedicate to this now so I thought I'd just toss it out there.

- Ben

1 comment:

t4stywh34t said...

Maybe this explanation will help.

There's a bit of confusion over "Transfiguration Sunday" and the "Feast of the Transfiguration." The Feast Day is always August 6, but in the West it has lately become a tradition to focus on the Transfiguration between Epiphany and Lent because of the cycle of the Synoptics. It's a good transition between Jesus' teachings in general (Epiphany) and Jesus specific teachings about his death (Lent).

Source: http://satucket.com/lectionary/Tranfiguration.htm