Thursday, August 20, 2009

Going Old School - an ode to krispy Kreme

Sitting here in our church lobby surrounded by the "great cloud of witnesses" that is 1,908 Krispy Kreme doughnuts for our youth group fundraiser (a very easy and profitable fundraiser, by the way) I was just reminded by a friend on facebook of the poem I wrote in college about these wonderful cake and glaze objects.

Irresistible Grease
- by Ben Howard

I
Krispy Kremes
Drenched in Grease
Clogging my arteries as I feast

II
My mouth is watering
My heart is beating
Krispy Kremes come for my eating

III
Thinking of you,
You wonderful cake
I dream of you until I wake

IV
Manna from Heaven
Sweet cake and glaze
I wish to devour you until the world becomes a haze

V
Oh Krispy Kremes
My greasy joy
I'm so glad that you're not made of soy

VI
Calvinists are wrong
Arminians are right
Krispy Kremes come to me in the night!


In case your wondering this was written as a joke after consecutive all-nighters in which my friends and I survived on Krispy Kremes, chicken wings, and caffeine. Also, if you can believe it, this was actually published in our college's poetry publication. I still can't believe this fact...they must have really been hurting for some submissions that year.

Big hat tip to Gustav and Moeller for the all-nighters and their help on this.

No comments: