Sunday, May 06, 2007

Summer Reading List

I've got a couple of things I want to post about but I'm not sure if I'll have time to put them up until after finals are over. But it is time for me to start developing a summer reading list. Just like last year I would love input from you all. Below is a list of a few books I want to get through please add some suggestions in the comments section. It seems like I always create a huge list and only get through two or three of the books, but I think that it's better to have a big list and loft goals that to only pick one or two. So please help me prioritize and please offer other suggestions. Here's what I'm thinking in no specific order:

The hold-overs from last summer:
  • The Brothers Karamazov - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • On Being a Christian - Hans Kung

Currently reading but not yet finished:
  • The Brothers Karamazov - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • Three Treatises on the Divine Images - St. John of Damascus
  • Knowledge of the Holy - A.W. Tozer
  • Whose Bible is it? - Jaroslav Pelikan

New additions:
  • On the Holy Spirit - St. Basil the Great
  • The Orthodox Way - Bishop Kallistos Ware
  • Worship in the Early Church - Ralph P. Martin
  • For the Life of the World - Fr. Alexander Schmemann (I was supposed to read this for class but never got to it)
  • Early Christian Doctrines - J.N.D. Kelly
  • The Problem with Evangelical Theology - Ben Witherington III
  • The Last Days of Socrates - Plato
  • The Eucharist: Our Sanctification - Fr. Raniero Cantalamessa, O.F.M. Cap.
  • Sober Intoxication of the Spirit: Filled with the Fullness of God - Fr. Raniero Cantalamessa, O.F.M. Cap.

8 comments:

tskd said...

I didn't see te 7th Harry Potter on that list...

Ben said...

Tegan please tell me that you're joking.

Although my one housemate is a huge fan of the Harry Potter series.

mike said...

I don't think she's joking. It's on my list ...

it should go in your 'purely entertainment' section. Every reading list needs one of those sections.

Anonymous said...

basil's work on the holy spirit is great. I just finished it.w

tskd said...

oh Benjamin. ;)

I'm NOT joking! Harry Potter is good for the heart, if not literally. It defintiely makes ME happy! And while happiness might not be joy, it sure can't be overated!

Matt said...

Ben - very cool list. The Brothers Karamazov is a book that changed my life - I don't know if I would be a Christian if it wasn't for that book. The Cantalamessa stuff looks cool too. I'm trying to come up with my summer reading. Right now I'm thinking of reading The Beauty of the Infinite by David Bentley Hart and the book on Jesus that Pope Benedict recently came out with.

Anna said...

You should read all three books of C.S.Lewis' Space Trilogy, esp. the last one, b/c, esp. considering some of things we talked about today, you'd appreciate and I thought about mentioning to you, BUT until you read the book, you can't talk about it with me, so that's the hook. Also, I read The Brothers Karamazov in ninth grade, which is funny b/c i don't think I got most of it, but the plot was awesome, of course. I was in to Russian literature then.

t4stywh34t said...

Martin's Worship in the Early Church is a solid quick read. I found it at a used book shop in Pasadena and I've never regretted buying it.

Of merit that I've completed recently:
Talking the Walk by Marva Dawn
Your God is Too Small by J.B. Phillips

Also, for a great intellectual murder-mystery that takes place in a monastary, read Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose