Monday, November 07, 2005

Decisions, decisions, decisions

As some of you may know I'm in the process of making a major decision right now. For those of you who don't know here it is: through a series of events I ended up sending my resume to a Wesleyan church in Austrailia. Things are looking good and they want to set up a phone interview which from what I gather is just a formality to be done before they officicially offer me the position. So the decision is: Do I move to Austrailia and take this church (providing it's offered) or do I stay here at Asbury. This is the main decision I'm working on right now.

What I want to share with you now isn't that I have this huge decision, but something God seemed to be speaking to me the other day.

With this decision I felt the need the other day to get out in nature and spend some time meditating, praying and reading some scripture. As I was out at some nature place near lexington I began reading through one of my favorite Psalms - Psalm 34. As I was reading this and taking some pictures of nature with my camera and praying God seemed to be telling me not to seek out the answer to the decision. He seemed to be saying to me, "seek me, and that will fall into place."

So that's what I've been trying to do. Focus on seeking God in and of himself. With this perspective it's hard not to seek God as a means to an end (the answer to what I should do), but nonetheless I continue to seek God. I pray that he will allow me to truly seek him, not as a means to an end, but as an end in itself.

No soap box this time, just something God showed me and I thought I would pass along. Take it for whatever it's worth.



Blessings to all of you in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit!

1 comment:

t4stywh34t said...

Though it would seem most in place for me to yell emphatically "come to Australia!", I feel that that's certainly not my place.

Just reflecting on what you said, it's awesome that you've realized the need to seek God and His kingdom first; Jesus certainly puts that into perspective in Matthew's Gospel account. I think part of why I'm so excited about Australia myself, and also marrying Cherith, is because they're two things that have come about because I laid down my will before God and said, "I'm going to seek You, and I have faith that you will indeed guide me." And He has. Sometimes His timing is frustrating (hence the word "patience" in the human language), but the joy in worshiping Him for who He is totally eclipses any stupid doubts or worries that we may have.

I'm not saying that God is going to come down in a cloud of fire to tell you through a megaphone which route to take, but be encouraged. Asking for wisdom in humility to make a choice is nearly synonymous, in my mind, with completely trusting the guidance of the Spirit.

Grace and peace brother.